Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 16

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:20:38 +0000

Newsletter No: 16

Date: 8 January 2008

Getting your views ? Parents? Questionnaire

At the beginning of each Spring Term we seek your views in the form of a
Parents Questionnaire.  The Governing Body would like as many parents as
possible to respond.  Remember to return one questionnaire for each child
that attends the school.  Additional copies are available from the website
or outside the school office.

The questionnaire is also available in the form of an electronic survey and
can be accessed using a link from our website (go to our home page, click on
the ?Consultations? button and then on the link at the top of the page that
appears ? or type http://www.broadoak.lancs.sch.uk/consultations.htm into
the address bar. The results of the questionnaire will be collated by one of
our governors and published in a future newsletter along with further action
points to address issues raised. The overall findings will also be looked at
by our Governing Body. For parents who do not have access to the internet,
please find attached to this newsletter a questionnaire. All responses,
electronic or paper based, need to be returned by Wednesday, 16 January.

The governors also want your views about the additional services we provide.
It is nearly four years since the Extended Learning Centre was started to
deliver a range of services for families and the community, including
childcare. We consulted this time last year and would like to re-evaluate
another year on.

The school contracts LCCS to provide our ?hot? and ?cold? snack and
lunchtime catering service.  We would also welcome your views about this
service we provide and how you think it can be improved. Both these surveys
are available on the ?Consultations? page on our website.

Reminder: Christmas DVD

A number of parents have expressed a wish to have a copy of our Christmas
Performances on DVD with amateur recordings of the evening performances of
both the Infant & Junior Departments.

We are therefore offering this service again.  Whilst most parents have
returned the order forms by the deadline of the end of last term, we are
able to take orders up to Friday this week (11th January).  Orders and
payment must be made by 14 January.  The DVD costs £8.00.  Please complete
an order form below and return the amount in cash or cheque (made payable to
?Broad Oak Class Collections?).

Move to our own Internet Search Engine and raise money for us ? Look for the
Magical School?s Logo!!

 <http://www.magicalschools.co.uk/broadoakprimary> The school has teamed up
with Magical Schools, an Internet Search Engine.  It is free for you to use.
For every search you make using our special page the school gets 50% of
revenue from advertising.  The more searches, the more money.  It?s simple.
Wherever you see the Magical School?s Logo on our website there is a
shortcut to our search engine or go to:
http://www.magicalschools.co.uk/broadoakprimary.

Set our school website or the search page as your home page.

Don?t forget to spread the word to work colleagues and friends.  Thank you.

Friends of Broad Oak Meeting ? Monday 14 January at 7.00pm

There is a meeting being held by the committee to discuss future PTA events,
decide on how money raised will be spent and to identify a target for future
fund raising.  If you have any ideas please come along.  It is to be held in
the school.

Paper Recycling

You can now recycle your newspapers, magazines, junk mail, catalogues,
yellow pages and other directories at our school and we can earn money for
everything we recycle through our green and yellow Paper Retriever
container.  This is an easy way for you to recycle household paper while
helping the school raise money for books, computers and similar equipment.
Please do not bring envelopes, food packaging, plastic, glass, metals or
cardboard.

For more information, take a look at www.PaperRetriever.com.

Reminder: LCCS School Dinner Money and Healthy Tuck Shop

Parents are reminded that the cost of a school dinner is now £ 1.65 a day,
£8.25 per week.

Parents are also reminded that the costs of snacks at morning break have
also changed, as has the choice. The new tariff for Morning Break will be:

½ toasted Fruit Teacake - 15p

Slice of toast ? 15p

Fresh Fruit ? 25p

Raisin Bag ? 20p

Hot (warm) Chocolate ? 20p

Fresh Milk ? 15p

Extra Curricular Activities

This school continues to be extremely proud to have dedicated staff who are
prepared to give up their own time during lunch break or after a teaching
day to give additional activities for our children ? at no extra cost to
parents.  Pupils? behaviour and commitment to the club is expected to
therefore be exemplary and the member of staff running the club has the
right to refuse attendance based on inappropriate behaviour and insufficient
commitment.  All parents should sign the slip at the end of this newsletter
to give permission for their child to take part in an extra curricular club.
If large numbers want to take part in a particular club we may look at
organising a rota.  Changes to club arrangements are displayed on the junior
notice board and/or in weekly newsletters.

Extra curricular clubs and activities will commence week beginning Monday
14th January. If an after school club has to be cancelled at short notice
for any reason (e.g. very bad weather), parents will be advised by text.

The following clubs will be taking place:

Day                    Time                      Club
Year Group            Staff in charge

Monday              As advertised       Taekwondo
Year 2 ? Year 6     Eddie Ellison*

Tuesdays          3.15 ? 4.00pm       High Fives
Year 5 & 6             Mrs Sutton

Wednesdays     3.15 ? 4.00pm       Drama
Year 3 & 4             Mrs Barker

Friday               12.30 ? 1.00pm      Choir
Year 3 ? Year 6     Mrs Metcalfe

Friday               3.15 ? 4.00pm       Keep Fit
Year 3 ? Year 6     Mrs Hughes

Friday               3.15 ? 4.30pm       Football
Year 5 & 6             Mr Bromley

* Please note that Taekwondo is provided by an external organisation and
that payment to the instructor is required.  Please see the attached flyer.

Broad Oak Care Club / Holiday Club

Holiday Club will be available during the next half-term holiday on the
following dates: Monday, 18 February to Friday, 22 February.  A booking form
and further details will be issued nearer the time.

Team Points
Last week?s winners - Chestnut

Superstars! ? Week ended 7.12.07

Mrs Yale's Class: Kiera, Caitlyn, Gemma
Mrs Sutton?s Class: Connor, Harvey
Mrs Wilson's Class: Peter, Liam, Shivam

Mrs Barker?s Class: Ryan, Demi, Adam, Alex

Mrs Ashton's Class: Cody, Jordan, Thomas, Rio, John

Mrs Hughes' Class: Corey, Connor, James

Mr Bromley?s Class: Luis, Ria

School Lunch ? Week 3: Beginning 14 January
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £8.25 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked ?Dinner Money? with their name, class and
amount.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Yorkshire pudding filled with Welsh Pork Sausages or Pizza Italian, jacket
potato.

Beef Pot Haggarty or Sicilian Pasta Bake with garlic bread.

Sweet & sour chicken with noodles or Cheddar cheese Catherine wheel, creamed
potatoes, baked beans.

Traditional lamb cobbler or Red pepper & tomato soup & a choice of sandwich.

Friday Fun Feast

British beef burger on a bun or Cod & Salmon Fishcake

Creamy rice pudding with mandarins.

Toffee apple crumble & custard

Gingerbread & banana slice.

Chocolate cookie & ice cream.

Pineapple upside down pudding.

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk
or fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets
also available subject to demand

Yours sincerely

Mr C M Metcalfe

Headteacher

-----

Extra Curricular Clubs                                    Please return to
School Office by Friday 11 January

I would like my child to take part in the following extra curricular clubs.
Please circle the name of the club.

Taekwondo (please come see Eddie on Monday after school for more info /
costs etc)

Drama (Y5 & Y6)                                 Choir (Y3 ? Y6)
High Fives (Y5 & Y6)

Football (Y5 & Y6)                              Keep Fit (Y3 - Y6)

Child?s Name: ________________________________   Class:
__________________________

Signed: _____________________________________    Date:
__________________________

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????..

Christmas 2007 Infant & Junior DVD Order Form              Return to school
office by Friday 11 January

I would like a Christmas 2007 DVD.                                      I
enclose £8.00.

Child?s name: _________________                                    Class:

Parent signature:______________                                     Date:

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.