[Bristol-Birds] stubble draws Woodies, Pipits

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:34:54 EST

Feb 25-26, 2003
Hwy 107 near Lamar
Washington Co., TN

     Driving home in the snowfall Tues. about 6 pm on Hwy 107, I stopped in
the Nolichucky Baptist Church parking lot (near the three produce stands on
the Lamar end of the road) and looked out across a field of corn stubble
containing a few hundred Canada Geese.  With them was a flock of about twenty
Wood Ducks feeding in the stubble.  I had never seen a flock of Wood Ducks in
a field before.  I stopped in the same spot Wed. about noon.  The field
contained a scattering of smaller birds:  Northern Flickers, Mourning Doves,
and American Pipits.  I could see quite a bit of uneaten corn remaining in
the field.  This spot might be worth watching for a while.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958