[Bristol-Birds] scarlet tanager

  • From: "Todd and Lynn Eastin" <eastin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 08:12:00 -0400

I seldom take time to go looking for birds.  My premeditated activity is my
platform feeders.  The rest of my bird identification takes place by ear (not
very good) and happenstance.  Sometimes this has delightful consequences.
Yesterday, a male scarlet tanager flew up from my road just as I rounded a
curve on my tractor.  I was able to stop and watch it for several minutes while
it posed in the branches 10-20 feet off the ground.  Neither the sound of the
engine nor two of my dogs trotting by underneath caused it to fly off.  It was
a fine moment with a beautiful bird.

Todd Eastin
Johnson Hollow Rd
Shady Valley