[Bristol-Birds] management of shorebirds at Paddle Creek Pond

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Bird Club'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 18:53:34 -0400

Paddle Creek Pond 12 May 2011.JPG

                 Shorebirds at Paddle Creek Pond 2012

Those of you who read Bristol Birds Net more closely

are likely paying attention to the early passage of shorebirds

reported in our region.  It gets better in the coming weeks.

September usually has some surprises.

The Bristol Bird Club shorebird management and

study area at Paddle Creek Pond in eastern Sullivan County,

has presented a few challenges.  We are in our fifth year

of record keeping and fourth year of habitat manipulation.

Birders, who have not found enough exposed mudflats

to invite stopover from passing shorebirds, can take heart in

the next six weeks or so.

Dry weather has seriously impacted the shoreline.

Glossy ibis paddle creek full body TWO sep 16 2009.JPGIt left so much of the

flats exposed throughout

the growing season that

an abundance of vegetation

has overgrown the otherwise

exposed areas.

In the late summer of 2013,

we had too much water in the pond and were not able

to lower the water to get adequate flat exposure.

The rainfall thru August 19 of last year was 44.52 inches

while the same period this year was only 22.69.  That is too

much water last year and not enough this year.  We were

white ibis paddle creek ponds aug 2009.JPG5.45 inches below normal

thru August 19 of this year.

We started to draw down the

pond Tuesday and some of you

will see the mudflats come into

adequate exposure if we don't get an overabundance of

rainfall in coming weeks.

A meeting Tuesday with the Crumley Family Farm owners

was productive.  BBC has asked for a continued drawdown this

fall as long as it does not obstruct farm operations.

At first the owners thought it would be better

to increase the inflow and raise the level

to a more full pond. We explained that the

exposed mudflats at this season best provide food

and resting habitat for the birds as well as observation

opportunities for birders.

We are not at a record low level.  We went

well below this same level in 2009 and 2010.  An

earlier start to the drawdown season brought us

into prime habitat and attracted many good birds

early on in those years.

The mudflats did not become overgrown with

vegetation in previous years.  They are now.

It remains to see how extensive we can expose

mudflats.  The farm owners suspect there is a

leak of some type which they believe may be in

the bank.  Even in dry years, such a leak may be

contributing to much drawdown that we

attribute to the weather and lack of rainfall.

They say it is obvious that the pond is self-limiting

In some ways.  They think it drops to a certain

level and then stops falling.

We cannot lower the water level by opening

the valve on the wheel gate.  It is so old and

rusty it might jam open or break and then the

pond drain completely, taking away the ability

for the cattle to use it and thus take adjacent

pasture out of the grazing rotation.

That would also eliminate the pond's use of

water birds and our good observation seriously

limited.

Whenever we begin drawdown, we do so by

pumping the water from the Crumley Family

Farm pond with the permanently installed

electric pump up to the Chad Baker family

ponds in the back which are off limits to

birding.  This is beyond the gate at the back

of the access road and at the top of the hill.

Baker previously let us bird there when he

was building their family house atop the

hill overlooking the ponds on his property.

However, when the family moved into the

completed house,  he asked us to discontinue

birding on his property beyond the gate.

Recently, he has approached birders

and told them to leave his property.  We

have not been able to get birders to honor

the request and it is a potential limiting

Issue which may eventually close off all

of our access including the lower and

large pond down by the sawmill and

Crumley home.

We cannot pump water up to the Baker