[Bristol-Birds] Re: largve eaglet on South Fork maybe 7 weeks of age

  • From: Larry Kirksey <lbklaw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 22:58:41 -0400

Folks,

I am in awe of these birds. Quite an experience today. Thanks, Wallace.

Larry Kirksey

Sent from my iPhone

On May 1, 2012, at 8:25 PM, "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bald Eagle nest
> upstream Bluff City
> Sullivan County, TN
>
> Much excitement at the eagle's nest this afternoon
> just before 6 p.m.  Larry Kirksey saw a large eaglet
> which is taking on the more black color.  The female
> stood on the nest and the chick moved
> around her from time to time.  First on one side and
> then the other.  It appears to be about 7 weeks of
> age.  Sunday afternoon another eaglet, which had a
> more cinnamon or tan color, was obvious but the
> darker bird was not seen. The lighter colored eaglet is
> probably a week to 10 days younger than its
> sibling.  Both of us enjoyed a long study of the
> older eaglet.  Its  bill is well developed.  It holds its
> neck upright and there was no obvious bobbing or
> swaying of the head.  It turned its head from time to
> time to look about.  Often intensely watching its
> parent.  The parent bird left the nest and soared out
> and above the nest, gaining height on a thermal.  It
> flew over Riverside Rd. and was quickly joined
> by the mate.  The two soared higher and higher
> and flew up the river.  They didn't go far
> because a women out walking for exercise stopped
> to look at the nest and young.  She was a local
> resident and did not know the nest was there.  We
> talked for a short while and then noticed the female
> eagle had returned to the nest. We did see her arrive.
> No food was apparent.
>
> A mile up the road we saw Osprey One still
> perched on its favorite tree limb above the river.
>
> Wallace Coffey
> Bristol, TN

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org