[Bristol-Birds] birding at weir dam and South Holston Dam reservation

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:46:18 -0500

TN-Birders, Rich Phillips, Don Carrier and all.....

Today was exactly the wonderful, warm, day Rick Phillps described.  I spent a
few hours
at the Weir Dam and South Holston Dam reservation this afternoon in Sullivan
Co.  Most of it was on foot searching conifer stands for possible Brown-headed
Nuthatches and/or roosting owls. No luck.  I did not search Osceola Island.  My
efforts were focused on the wider area along the river and up the road to the
dam and beyond the overlook.

I found that the Mallards are in pairs -- at least five or six pairs at the
bridge near the water intake below the weir.  Up stream from the weir, near the
turbine generation spillway, I saw at least eight pairs of Buffleheads and the
males were swimming between their apparent mates and other approaching males.
There were several encounters as the males would chase and fight to keep the
approaching males away.

I spent a little while on nearby Pemberton Rd. and on foot for awhile at
PowerLine Farms.  Of note was about 20 American Wigeon at the Pemberton Rd. "S"
curve pond.  This is the first time I have had any significant numbers of them
there.  A few Canada Geese were nearby but the Ross's Goose, seen with them not
long ago by Rick Knight, was nowhere to be found.

Several Great Blue Herons are present upstream of the Central Holston Bridge
and I searched again to see if any birds were carrying sticks.  They are
actively flying about and landing in trees.  This is not anything to get too
excited about.  However,  the possiblity of staging to build a new heronry is
not out of the question.  I am still not sure if a group of birds just migrate
in and start building nests the first day they arrive at a potential heronry
site or if the numbers build up over a week.

So the question is:  how do the birds get together and start a site when they
have been solitary most of the winter ?  What suddenly triggers their arrival
and selection of a site ?  Is their an "alpha" bird that just says "here we are
and everyone needs to get to work building nests" ?  Has that group already
arrived near the Big Bend of the river ?  Is the signal going to be understood
from wherever any day now ?  Maybe not.

Let's go birding.....