[Bristol-Birds] a good week

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 17:16:50 -0400

     Last Saturday on the Elizabethton fall bird count I was lucky enough to
get the opportunity to count in Shady Valley (Johnson Co.).  I was hoping to
see some of the good birds Rick Knight had been finding there, and was not
disappointed.  The Least Bittern was still there.  It sat by a sedge clump
across the open water of the beaver pond, asleep, the whole time I was there.
There were also Sora, a Sedge Wren, and Marsh Wrens around the beaver pond.
The lower section of trail  was flooded just before the manmade dike that the
beaver has annexed for his dam.  I waded across to the end of the dike for a
vantage point.  Looking downstream and to the left I saw an orangey sparrow
with unstreaked gray nape and gray central crown stripe, a Nelson's
Sharp-tailed Sparrow, posing for my perusal.  I was reminded of the time just a
few years ago when Howard Langridge described to me the one that he had just
seen in just about the same spot.  I didn't see it that first time, except
  as a disappearing LBJ, and in my mind's eye with Howard's help.  Thanks for
the lesson, Howard!

     I have also seen a few migrants in Greene Co. this week.

     Monday, 02 OCT 2006 at Clyde Austin 4-H Center
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (my FOS)
Cape May Warbler
Sharp-shinned Hawk.

     Tuesday, 03 OCT 2006 on Little Indian Creek Rd.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Tennessee Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
White-eyed Vireo.

     Wednesday, 04 OCT 2006 on Little Indian Creek Rd.
White-throated Sparrow (my FOS)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blackburnian Warblers
Black-throated Green Warbler