[Bristol-Birds] Yellow-crowned night herons

  • From: Lisa Tyler <lisatyler1961@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Club <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:12:55 -0400

At 7:15 tonight, I observed three adult yellow-crowned night herons in the
usual nesting spot above the gravel path at Sycamore Shoals Park.  One was on
the active nest, and there was movement but no young directly observed this
time.

Another adult stood in the older nest on the right (with the river at my back)
for about 15 minutes before tight-rope walking down a limb and displaying it's
feathers and calling several times.

Then, a third adult flew in to perch in a tree to the right of the first two
birds.

It was very exciting to see three of these exotic-looking birds so clearly and
for an extended time period this evening, and two non-birder friends were also
impressed.

Lisa Tyler
Elizabethton, TN