[Bristol-Birds] Washington and Sullivan Cty Water Areas

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:02:45 -0400

Gil Derouen, Reece Jamerson, and I spent some time today checking Washington
Cty and Sullivan Cty water areas.  I'm listing some of the birds and highlights
to give some idea of what we saw:

Austin Springs:
Bald Eagle               2  mature birds
Wood Duck            1 female
Common Loon         1
Great Blue Heron     3
Green Heron            1
Spotted Sandpiper   1
Warbling Vireo         1

Paddle Creek:
Great Blue Heron           2
Spotted Sandpiper         2
Killdeer                         4--2 adult and 2 young

Weir Dam
Nothing unusual, but we saw a fly fisherman catch and return 4 nice trout
within about 10 min.

Rooty Branch and Pemberton Rds.
Yellow-billed Cuckoo              heard   1
E. Wood Pewee                                  3
Loggerhead Shrike                               5  (more about this later)
Grasshopper Sparrow                          1

Musick's Campground
Green Heron                             1
Spotted Sandpiper                    1

Middlebrook Lake
D. C. Cormorant                      5
Mallards and Canada Geese

Kinch Boat Dock, Winged-deer Park
Great-crested Flycatcher

The 5 Loggerhead Shrikes were in a shrub along Pemberton Rd shortly after it
leaves Rooty Branch Rd (house numbers about 419, 421, 423)
This group appeared to be a pair of parent birds and 3 young, which were well
plummaged but appeared to be still being fed some by parent birds.  They were
all in the same group of shrubs.  This is in the same stretch of Pemberton Rd.
where a number of other birders have reported seeing one or two shrikes
throughout winter and early spring.

In addition, we saw two large Fox Squirrels along Pemberton Rd. on the turn
before the straight stretch of Pemberton Rd. described above begins.  One was
brown and reddish, fairly typical Fox Squirrel coloring.  The other (larger)
was more tan but with a darker head, except for a wide white blaze on face,
between the ears to the nose, and white-tipped ears.  Last fall we saw two
squirrels at the same spot that looked very much the same as these two.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City