[Bristol-Birds] Re: To Kill A Mockingbird

  • From: Ben Britton <benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roneharrin@xxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:45:19 +0000

Ron,

I've had the same problem for years.....started with a holly.  I've tried to
"appease" the mocker with bread and other goodies on the other side of the
holly from my feeders and suet.  He still guards the suet some, but has too
much other "territory" now and allows the seed eaters their chance.  He does
hate starlings....and will bomb them on sight!

Have a good watch,

Ben Britton

Morristown, TN , Hamblen co.

From: roneharrin@xxxxxxxxxx
To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bristol-Birds] To Kill A Mockingbird
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:48:33 -0500

Until about a month ago the N. Mockingbird that hangs around my bird feeding
area has been content to closely guard the berries on a nearby hybrid holly and
the English ivy growing in an old chestnut. No more. It now vigorously chases
birds from all feeders too, including the seed and suet. Needless to say, this
behavior is making it hard to carry out my FeederWatch count, which I do two
days a week. The bird gets a little “crazy” when a large flock of a certain
species comes in at once. The other day about thirty Cedar Waxwings visited to
partake of the ivy berries. The Mockingbird tried but was not successful in
chasing them all away. Nevertheless, I have been frustrated to the point I
start feeling the urge “To kill a Mockingbird.” A large Cooper’s hawk has been
hanging around. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

 With apologies,
Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA