[Bristol-Birds] Storms but few feathers !

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:32:27 -0300

Despite the stormy weather moving thru most of Northeast Tennessee and
Southwest Virginia, there appears to be no significant fallout of spring
waterbird migrants reported at this hour.

We had lots of rain just before dawn and at daylight this morning.  At Shady
Valley, Tn. and Lebanon, Va. today's rainfall was just over 2 inches.

I birded at Musick's Campground for a short while just before 5 p.m.   Two
previous parties had been there and we had pretty much constant coverage
from just after noon until near dark.

I watched 82 Double-crested Cormorants join with 43 Red-breasted Mergansers
and a very large flock of mixed Bonaparte's Gulls and Ring-billed Gulls
staging several feeding freenzies just offshore of the campground.

An Osprey, three Common Loons and a Pied-billed Grebe are about all the
other birds I had worth typing.

The Ridge and Valley Region of our area had varying amounts of rain.  A
little after 3 p.m. a big and dangerous thunderstorm swept slowy out of
Greene County and along I-81 into Bristol.  It brought hail and winds to
much of the area and went thru west Bristol Tennessee and across Bristol
Virginia, dumping more than 1.5 inches of rain.

As the storm passed me at 4:00 p.m.  I headed out with expectations.  I
checked Middlebrook Lake on the way in at 5:45 p.m. and found that Sinking
Creek had turned the lake muddy and there was virtually nothing but a few
domestic ducks on the lake.

Surprisingly, Abingdon, Va.  did not get any rain today.

Let's go birding.....