[Bristol-Birds] Spotted Sandpiper at Kingsport

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:08:42 -0500

I made a short trip down to look for waterfowl on the S. Fork Holston River
along Netherland Inn Road in Kingsport this morning (Feb 1).  As I approached
the bank behind Riverfront Seafood Restaurant two Spotted Sandpipers flushed
from the rocky shoreline in the same area where I reported one on Jan 20.  One
bird flew across the river to the opposite bank and the other flew downstream
landing on one of the bridge supports.  Took a very quick, blurry record photo.
 Didn't see the first bird again while I was there.  The second sandpiper was
very actively flying between the shoreline and the bridge supports.  Lots of
rocky shoreline where they could be found on any one trip, but that's twice
I've seen a bird(s) behind Riverfront.

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee

JPEG image