[Bristol-Birds] South Holston eaglets hatched

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:31:14 +0000

AVENS BRIDGE, VA -- The Bald Eagle nest at South Holston Lake has hatched two
eaglets.

Just before 6 p.m. I saw an adult standing at the edge of the nest and two
white, downy heads stretching to the parent's beak as they were alternately
being fed.

The nest is in the crown of a dominant White Pine, gently swaying in an easy
breeze, about six miles south of Abingdon in Washington County.

It towers nearly 700 feet above the lake and shoreline.  It is in a remote and
secure 2000-acre track in private holding.

Last year the pair hatched and fledged a single eaglet.

The light conditions are wonderful in the warm evening sun.  The eaglets are
enjoying an ambient air temp which I just measured at 58F.

I am going to peek in on them once again and take my scope down, but not before
taking a moment to thank our friends the Lawsons for allowing me to watch from
the driveway of their beautiful lake house in their secured and private
community.

Let's go birding . . .