[Bristol-Birds] South Holston Storm Birds (Monday)

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:00:57 -0300

A Ruddy Turnstone and two early-season Common Loons captured the spotlight
this morning (9/15) as the stormy cold prepared to leave Tennessee and
dropped many birds at Musick's Campground, South Holston Lake, Sullivan Co., TN.

The frontal passage brought significant flights of terns, teal, shorebirds
and swallows to this Southern Applachian Mountain impoundment, now at 1722
feet reservoir elevation.

Rack Cross, Wallace Coffey and Rick Knight were onhand for the observations
and count.

The species and  numbers included:

Common Loon  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  5
Green Heron 1
Blue-winged Teal 200 (minimum estimate)
Northern Shoveler 1
Semipalmated Plover 5
Kildeer  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  41
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Ruddy Turnstone  1
Western Sandpiper 1
Least Sandpiper 4
Common Terns 32
Black Tern 25
Belted Kingfisher  1
Tree Swallow 100 (minimum estimate)

The much-anticipated arrival of the cold front was realized after the
barometric pressure started falling between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday (9/14).
Rack Cross, Coffey and Sam Cross were in the bogs at Shady Valley, Johnson
County, when the leading edge arrived at 5:15 p.m. and the wind increased to
15 mph.

Cloud cover continued to move in from the west and a light shower began at
about 8 p.m.   In the last hours until daylight Monday, the front brought
its last heavy rainfall just before 6 a.m.

We had carefully covered Musick's Campground twice Sunday afternoon and,
before nightfall, the day's birds  were Caspian Terns 5, Lesser Yellowlegs
6, Great Egret 2, Killdeer 1, Osprey 1.  We now had a baseline on birds present.

The stage had been set for a nice fallout.  We would be back early Monday to
harvest the promise.  The front kept its word.

Let's go birding.....

and Cumberland Nature Club.