[Bristol-Birds] Saturday & Sunday

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

First and Foremost, I want to thank the members of the BBC that came to Natural
Tunnel State Park for the Spring Birding Weekend.  I was around on Saturday & I
think a good time was had by all.  I want to thank Janice (?) for knocking 15
years off my age.  What an ego boost.  I particularly want to thank all those
members for the wonderful dinner they prepared and asked me to share with them.
 The food and conversation were fantastic!!  THANKS again from the bottom of my
heart (and stomach!)

With the assistance of the BBC I got a good lesson in warbler ID and saw a
blackpoll for the first time.  I also confirmed that I had seen a yellow
throated warbler on April 15 at the Natural Tunnel chairlift.

Inspired by the BBC and being curious about a patch of pink lady slippers that
I know of... I drove up to Elisha Lick Gap on Powell Mountain (North of NTSP)
to check.  On the trip I saw 2 ovenbirds, a dark eyed junco, a female ruffed
grouse, several indigo buntings, several goldfinches, a pileated woodpecker, 4
turkey vultures and a red-tailed hawk.  I heard several ovenbirds, a black &
white warbler, at least 3 hooded warblers.

While mowing Sunday morning-early afternoon I saw several yardbirds.  Robins,
cardinals male & female, grackles, goldfinches, Eastern bluebirds, starlings,
American crows and I heard a red-bellied woodpecker.

Oh, there are over 100 pink lady slippers beginning to bloom and I found 5
yellow lady slippers just about ready to bloom.

Overall, a good day, even though I had to mow...

Bill Cawood, Big Stone Gap, VA  Naturalist/Interpreter Natural Tunnel State Park