[Bristol-Birds] Running water and Birds

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:23:31 -0400

Area Birders,
This week I built a small stream about 12 feet long with a couple of pools,
that flows into our yard pond. When I was testing the water flow a CERULEAN
WARBLER flew into the cherry tree just a few feet from me. It hopped lower
and lower. It seemed very interested in the stream. After looking the stream
over it flew off.
I finished the stream yesterday. Within an hour several species had come to
visit. First, two YELLOW WARBLERS came to hop along the stream bed and to
bathe. Soon 4 MOURNING DOVES came for a drink. A GRAY CATBIRD bathed, while
a young CARDINAL imitated its movements from the bank. Next a male AMERICAN
REDSTART flew in to hawk insects above the water. It was soon followed by a
COMMON GRACKLE, a male RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD and two SONG SPARROWS that
bathed and hopped among the rocks. A YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT came out of some
large ferns for a drink, as did a couple of BROWN THRASHERS. There were also
a few STARLINGS that came to drink. Even a couple of Chipmunks came to enjoy
the water. I know that running water is attractive to birds, but I wouldn't
have imagined that with the pond already there, so many species would have
been drawn to this small stream.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy VA