[Bristol-Birds] Rogue Great Egret

  • From: <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:08:27 -0400

This morning, Mon Aug 22, I was sitting at my desk within the public works
compound of Johnson City when my boss yells, "We need the Audubon Society...Rob
come quick."  I quickly scramble out of my chair and head for the door.  My
boss is pointing up to the top of some trees across the school bus parking lot
and above the salt shed (across from American Water Heater at the New St
entrance)that sit along Brush Creek.  "At first I thought it was a large white
gull.  As it grew closer I began thinking of a big White Heron...see it, top of
that tree, bringing his head up and down.  Have your binoculars with ya?"  He
was saying all of this as I was diggin in my backpack getting my binos.  One
look told me it was a Great Egret, nice yellow bill.  I haven't seen many
Egrets in Washington County away from Boone Lake or Austin Springs.  Nice new
bird for my work 'yard.'

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN