[Bristol-Birds] Roan Mtn banding summary

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:01:18 -0400

18 Aug thru 9 Oct 2007
Carver's Gap on Roan Mtn
Carter Co., TN  &  Mitchell Co., NC

This autumn was my 10th year of banding at Roan Mtn., with
921 birds (second highest total) of 47 species (ties highest number) banded.

The 10 year total is 6590 birds of 77 species banded.

The top 10 species this year were:
Swainson's Thrush  - 268
Black-thr. Blue Warbler  - 200
Dark-eyed Junco  - 75
Tennessee Warbler  - 57
Wood Thrush  - 48
Ovenbird  - 36
Cape May Warbler  - 20
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  - 20
Gray-cheeked Thrush  - 19
Golden-crowned Kinglet  - 16

The top 4 in this list have always been the top 4, just not always in the same
order.
As I recall, these are the same top 4 at the banding stations at Big Bald Mtn &
Whigg Meadows, also.

Record high numbers were banded for:
Gray-cheeked, Swainson's, & Wood Thrushes, Cedar Waxwing,
Cape May, Black-thr. Blue, Yellow-rumped, & Black-thr. Green Warblers,
Ovenbird, & Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Conversely, Tennessee Warblers were in below average numbers, unlike at
Whigg Meadows which reported record high numbers this year.

Orange-crowned Warbler, N. Parula, & Summer Tanager were new for the station
list.

21 species of warblers were banded this year & 28 species have been banded over
the 10 year span.

My thanks to the U.S. Forest Service for permission to band there.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN