[Bristol-Birds] Red-breasted Nuthatch, Watauga Lake Overlook

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:27:33 -0500

During lunch today (Feb. 8) at the Watauga Lake Overlook near Elizabethton in Carter County (beyond the Wilbur Lake reservoir), I enjoyed a nice flock of birds in the tree dubbed "Sapsucker Tree" at the TVA Overlook Building.

Highlights included Red-breasted Nuthatch (1), White-breasted Nuthatches, Hermit Thrush (1), Eastern Bluebirds, American Robins, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Dark-eyed Juncos and Carolina Chickadees. Oddly enough, no Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. A main attraction for most of these birds appeared to be the berry-bearing American Holly trees.

I also heard, but did not see, Cedar Waxwings.

On Wilbur Lake, Buffleheads and at least 38 Ring-necked Ducks. I saw no Bald Eagles today.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN
Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia