[Bristol-Birds] Peregrine sighting revisited

  • From: John Whinery <fall.branch.tn.bird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:23:41 -0400

Thursday evening there was an American Kestrel with _very_ worn (/extremely faded/ rufous color) in the same tree as the possible juvenile Peregrine the day before. I watched the Kestrel through a scope over the course of an hour and it NEVER bobbed it's tail which Sibley indicates is habitual and Peterson calls occasional tail lift. Got great looks at it's head and with a couple rough looking (worn and faded feathered) robins on adjacent limb I could size the Kestrel pretty well. So it is possible/likely the bird I said "looked like a juvenile Peregrine" was a faded feathered Kestrel. Wish I could side to side compare a small first year Peregrine with a worn feathered Kestrel. I didn't see either bird fly.

I wasn't 100% on the Peregrine id, hence the 'looked like' description and wanted to try to be more precise with this post.
--

John Whinery
Fall Branch, Tn