[Bristol-Birds] Re: Oral rabies aerial distribution in southwestern VA - first two weeks in August

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:46:15 -0400

Bristol Area Birders:

All of us on Bristol Birds Net should be constantly aware that this network,
owned by the Bristol Bird Club, promotes communications of interest to
birders.  The list serves an extensive area of Southwest Virginia and
Northeast Tennessee.  It is not limited to either state.

Dr. Carol Hardy's post about the upcoming oral rabies aerial distribution in
Southwest Virginia is information we value.   Many of us might not have
known about the distribution had we not read her post.  This is another way
the Bristol Birds Net and the Bristol Bird Club contributes to those who
enjoy the outdoors.
We also encourage natural resource managers to participate in the Bristol
Birds Net.  It is of mutual value to both resource agencies and birders.

I am fascinated to learn that the aerial inoculation program which didn't
work to halt the spread of raccoon  rabies into Johnson and Carter Counties
of Tennessee, is why wildlife managers now have the battle in Virginia.  It
would be nice to know the source of that information and how that was
determined.  Personally, I would like to read any available research which
draws that conclusion.

Let's go birding....

Wallace Coffey
Moderator