[Bristol-Birds] New Place to Go Birding

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:04:46 -0500

I re-discovered a place from my childhood today and it turned out to be a
great birding location! It is in Sullivan county TN and only a five minute
drive from the Osceola Island Recreation area. The snow was intense but I
saw over 20 species including wild turkey, Pileated woodpeckers, red tailed
hawks (not sure on this one but a large hawk), hermit thrush, meadowlark,
golden-crowned kinglets, downy woodpecker, cardinal, titmouse etc.

I am including a map as it is publicly accessible property, owned by the
TVA, with some (limited) parking. The trails are in good shape there is a
wonderful spring fed creek/pond that should have good waterfowl potential.
(It was ice covered today) The trails led to a not often seen part of the
river with wonderful old growth forest, and breathtaking scenery. (could
have been the cold taking my breath!)

If anyone needs better instructions or would like to meet me there don't
hesitate to ask.

Don Carrier
Bristol, Tennessee