[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Hawk Update 9-14

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, drcumbow@xxxxxxxxx, Marion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mlhagy322morning@xxxxxx, shopp@xxxxxxx, wesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JAMES134@xxxxxxxxxxxx, dioptase@xxxxxxxxx, rwsandmss@xxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:30:48 EDT

Hi Folks:

It was another bright, sunny day at the Mendota Fire Tower. There were some
high, light clouds to our East, but the expected clouds from the Northwest did
not materialize. Temps ranged from 57-78 degrees. Winds were light and
variable, then 5-15 mph out of the Northwest in the afternoon. Bob Quillen and
I were
on site from 9:15 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Ed Talbott from Grundy, VA joined us
around 10:00 and stayed until 1:30. The Broad-winged Hawks appeared around
10:30 as expected. From 10:30 until 12:00 we counted 225, then another 120 from
noon until around 1:15. And again they seemed to "disappear" during the hot
afternoon. Man, my neck is hurting and my eyes are bloodshot and burning. But I
had a great time. Come join us! We desperately need more "hawk eyes."

 Species:
                                                   9/14       Year-to-date
Northern Harrier:                             -                    1
Broad-winged Hawk:                   345                977
Coopers Hawk:                              -                     5
Am Bald Eagle:                             -                      2
Osprey:                                        1                      3
Am. Kestrel:                                 -                       1

Other: Red-headed WP                 -                     2

Man-hours:                                   18

The Mendota Lookout is located atop Clinch Mountain, on the
Russell-Washington County line, near Mendota, VA. If you want directions, let
me know.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA