[Bristol-Birds] Late Warblers and Winter Wren in Buchanan County

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:04:46 -0400

Bristol Birders,

The mild temperatures and fall colors were too much to resist and I decided
to bird Caney Island Branch in Buchanan County after work today.  I ran
across two warblers that I would have suspected to be much further south in
their fall migration.  The first was a Tennessee Warbler.  I got a long
look and ruled out the Orange-crowned that I would have expected this time
of year.  A couple of minutes later I spotted a second warbler, a very late
Magnolia.  I took some video of this bird and confirmed my ID later.  Later
I stopped at a marshy area in the hollow and just stood there for about 15
minutes waiting for the sparrows to come to me.  There were lots of Song
Sparrows, a couple of White-throated Sparrows, one Lincoln's that gave me
great looks, and another sparrow I suspect was a Swamp.  At the base of a
pile of logs I spotted my first Winter Wren of the season.  Two Barred Owls
called to one another from each side of the hollow as I made my way home.

A very nice way to unwind after a day of work.

Ed Talbott
Buchanan County, VA

Buchanan County Bird Club:
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm