[Bristol-Birds] Lark Sparrow

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <jthill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Bird List" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 18:29:59 -0400

On Saturday, April 8, my wife Jane and I saw a Lark Sparrow in the Office
Depot parking lot at Exit 7 in Bristol, VA.  We were driving around the
perimeter of the main parking lot when the bird flew in front of us and
landed on the curb in the Office Depot lot.  We observed the bird for
perhaps 10 minutes verifying various characteristics including the black
malar, white tipped tail and white outer tail feathers, and the grayish
white plain breast with a black spot in the center.  The bird appeared to be
in first winter plummage (based on the Birds of North American software)
with a rather dull head.