[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Field Trip

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:52:25 -0500

Herndon Bird Club members and guests had their field trip in Kingsport today,
beginning at the overlook above the Ft. Patrick Henry Dam and ending at the
driving range at the Meadow View Golf Course.  Eighteen birders attended: Don
Holt, Dianne Draper, Rick Knight, Eric and Kathy Noblet, Charles Moore, Lisa
Tyler, David Kirschke, Jerry Thornton, Wallace and Carolyn Coffey, Faye Wagers,
Nata Jackson, Brookie and Jean Potter, John Hay, Jim D. Anderson, and Roy
Knispel.

Targets were the Great Blue Herons and nests at the Ft. Patrick Henry Dam--13
nests, all with herons on at one time or another--Black-crowned Night Heron--a
good look at one seen flying over the Riverfront Restaurant as we were
leaving--and Am. Woodcock displaying--at least 3 different birds seen at the
driving range at the Meadow View Golf Course about 6:45 to 7:15 p.m.  Other
highlights included a mature Bald Eagle glistening in the sun above us at the
Ft. Patrick Henry Dam overlook and two River Otter playing in the Soouth
Holston River and far bank between the Riverfront Restaurant and the confluence
of the North and South Forks of the Holston River.  The following is a full
list of birds observed:
Canada Goose
Mallard
Double-crested Cormorant
Am. Coot
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Am. Kestrel
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Am. Woodcock
Wilson's Snipe
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Ring-billed Gull
Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Carolina Wren
E. Bluebird
Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird

Please send an addendum if I missed any birds that you saw or heard.

The weather was a bit windy but otherwise great for a field trip.  The water
flow out of Ft. Patrick Henry Dam was much higher than usual, which, we expect,
cut down some of the variety of waterfowl and numbers, but it was a great day
for birding and socializing.  We enjoyed a great meal at the Riverfront
Restaurant and good listening to and viewing of the Am. Woodcock at the driving
range.  Thanks to Joe McGuiness and Kim Stroud, Don Holt and Dianne Draper for
initiating the planning for the field trip, to Rick Knight, John Hay, and Bill
Grigsby for helpful input and scouting for Woodcock, and to all who attended
for contributing to the pleasant day in the field.

Roy Knispel, Pres
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS
Phone:423-202-7802