[Bristol-Birds] Re: Gulls

  • From: Ben Britton <benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ellrose@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:38:39 +0000

Mon. 8 Mar 2010....5-600 pm.

Cherokee Dam, just out of Jefferson City had over a thousand Ring-billed gulls
yesterday.  I observed about a hundred Bonepart's gulls mixed in, but many more
gulls were out of 8X30 binoculars range on toward Mossy Creek.  Like Ellen, I
too tried to find some sort of mixers, but had no luck.

I did see the Balded Eagle on the nest (private property near by) and a singing
Pine Warbler in the campground pine trees with a few Yellow-rumped warblers.

Mossy Creek Refuge: Had most of the ducks spooked by a few fisherman (8
mallards) but did have one Coot and a Fox sparrow eating buds out of top of
tree by the Northern observation tower.

Ben Britton

Morristown, Hamblen Co.

From: ellrose@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bristol-Birds] Gulls
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:42:23 -0500

Today (Sunday, March 7), I saw more Ring-Billed Gulls than I have ever seen on
Watauga Lake.  A large group, I would estimate 400 to 500 were observed at
Lakeshore Marina, many sitting on the water and on floating tires that mark the
lake entrance to the marina.  There were two other large groups, one near the
Butler Bridge and another in the Cove Ridge area of the lake. I didn’t have a
scope with me so I couldn’t tell if there were any others mixed in with the
Ring-Bills.  I also found a Double-Crested Cormorant perched on a neighbor’s
dock buoy.

Ellen Parker
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/