[Bristol-Birds] Guest Mt. migrants

  • From: Richard Peake <rpeake1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rpeake1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 20:27:38 -0500

Yesterday (8/28/10) I had a group of migrants in the yard at Guest Mt. There
were at least 12+ Scarlet Tanagers attracted to ripe wild cherries. Among these
was a Western Tanager (seen well for ten minutes in an oak @ 30-40 feet: it was
bright yellow with dark black wings, each of which had two distinct white
wingbars. Though the bird was brighter than any of the Scarlet Tanagers in the
area, I did not detect any remaining red in its plumage. This is the third
record for Wise Co. This was the only bird that was definitely a migrant. Other
birds present included Red-eyed Vireo, Blackburnian Warbler, Yellow-throated
Warbler, Black and White Warbler.
Richard Peakerpeake1@xxxxxxxxxxx