[Bristol-Birds] Great Field Day

  • From: "Rack Cross" <frogfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:15:26 -0500

Bristol Birders

Larry McDaniels, Allan Trently, Wallace Coffey and myself birded up a =
storm today, Nov. 9, 2002, from Middlebrook Lake to Musick's Campground =
and many points between! My parting stop at Musick's turned up yet =
another birding friend that I had last seen at the BBC picnic this year =
- Allen Boyington. We all had a great day in the field. My species count =
soared to 50 an above average number for me. Some of our best sightings =
of the day include:

Ross's Goose, Hooded Mergansers (Mddlebrook), Bonaparte's Gulls, Common =
Loons, Horned Grebes, Eared Grebes (Musick's), Bufflehead, American =
Wigeon, Herring Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls (Wier Dam), Loggerhead Shrike, =
American Kestrel, Fox Squirrel on a telephone pole with a mouth full of =
corn (Power Line Farm), Swamp Sparrow, Winter Wren (Cavern Road).

Two birds I deem exceptional on todays trip, just happen to be lifers =
for me! Larry McDaniels encouraged our group to search a recently plowed =
and seeded field in the Green Spring community. Upon following Larry's =
wishes we flushed up at least twenty American Pipits. This evening at =
Musick's birding with Allen Boyington a Dunlin was noticed in the small =
pool of water to the left of the point. Allen and I had scanned the pool =
no less than a dozen times before the Dunlin was able to sneak in. =
Allen's scope made the clear/close look at this life bird all the more =
enjoyable.=20

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958