[Bristol-Birds] Goldeneye's along New River

  • From: "Glen Eller" <geller@xxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:49:44 -0500

Open (unfrozen) water is hard to find in our area this winter but
I found a section of the New River, about 1 mile in length, below
Bylsbee Dam open this morning.  I found a rather large group of
Common Goldeneye consisting of 21 birds (8 males & 13 females) today
along with 15 to 18 Mallards, 14 Black Duck, 7 Hooded Mergansers and
approximately 35 Canada Geese.  Also on the road between Bylsbee &
Buck Dams, I found a Brown Creeper, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Redtail
Hawk, and singing & copulating Carolina Wrens.  Do the wrens know
that spring is just around the corner?  I certainly hope so.

Glen Eller
Galax, VA

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958