[Bristol-Birds] GBBC - Horned Larks, White-crowned Sparrows

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:47:21 -0800 (PST)

I conducted 3 counts for the GBBC today in Russell County. Despite the snow on
the ground and the generally lousy viewing conditions, I did manage to locate
39 species. There were 4 instances that required confirmation. I listed 221
White-crowned Sparrows in the Elk Garden, Corn Valley and Rosedale areas and 93
in the Clifton Farms Road area. That is actually a conservative number. They
also asked for confirmation on the 47 Yellow-rumped Warblers and the 38
Northern Cardinals. In Russell County this year we have had an abundnce of
these 3 species.
Other highlights included the 2 Golden Eagles I discussed in the earlier email
and a flock of 24 Horned Larks on Clifton Farms Road. I have seen this flock in
flight 3 other times but could not relocate them until today. All Horned Larks,
no Pipits or Longspurs.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club