[Bristol-Birds] Fwd: summer birders needed

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:47:19 -0500

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:34:29 -0500
From: "Heather Lessig" <lessigh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: summer birders needed

I currently work at the Smithsonian's Conservation and Research Center in Front Royal and will be conducting point count surveys in the Mt. Rogers area this summer. This is part of a three year project with the VDGIF to survey birds in high elevation areas of the state and will hopefully become a masters project for me. I'm looking for some full-time temporary birders for the season and was wondering if you could post the following announcement through your club. I would appreciate any help you could give in finding birders. Thanks -

Heather Lessig

Avian technicians (2) needed to conduct point count surveys of eastern songbirds in Mt. Rogers area of southern Virginia for high elevation bird study. Study is through Smithsonian Institute's Conservation and Research Center. Work runs from May 1 * August 1, dates slightly flexible. Early season work will include point establishment and general survey of birds, late season work will include vegetation surveys at all points, both typically M-F 8-5. During breeding season work will involve daily standard point count surveys focused in early mornings. Remaining time spent on data entry, data analysis, and logistical planning. There is the possibility of overnight camping in order to be at remote routes by dawn. Housing and work vehicles will be provided near Mt. Rogers. Salary is $1000-1200/mo. DOE. Applicants MUST have prior experience conducting point counts and excellent identification skills of eastern songbirds * songs will not be taught. Prefer experience with identifying trees and shrubs of southern Appalachians. Must have or be working toward a degree in ecology, biology or wildlife sciences. Housing may include camping so must be comfortable in a variety of living situations and have a flexible schedule during the breeding season. Excellent physical shape and experience in off-road conditions expected. To apply send resume, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three references to lessigh@xxxxxx or by mail: Heather Lessig 1500 Remount Rd., Front Royal VA 22630.

Heather Lessig Conservation and Research Center Smithsonian Institute 1500 Remount Rd. Front Royal, VA 22630 540-551-9422

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia