[Bristol-Birds] Fw: Henslow's Sparrow and Bobolink, Washington Co., TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:04:26 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx>
To: <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 7:52 PM
Subject: listserve problem

> Wallace,
>      I'm having trouble sending this sighting report into the listserves,
it gets garbled even though my test messages get through just fine.  Will
you copy it and send it in for me?
> Don Holt

>   Subj:    Henslow's Sparrow and Bobolink, Washington Co., TN
>   Date:    4/28/2004 7:28:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>   From:    Dnldhlt
>   To:    bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> Wed. 28 APR 2004
> Keebler Rd./Dunbar Rd., Washington Co., TN
> D. Holt
>
> I returned to look for the Henslow's Sparrow I saw yesterday on Keebler
Rd., and it was at the exact same spot at the same time of day!  Here are
the directions:  Go in the morning around 9 am.  Park on the high point of
Keebler Rd. on the north side of the road where the shoulder pavement widens
into an apron.   Look to the south.  Find the highest mountain on the
horizon with multiple towers, Viking Mtn.  Below that you will see an
unpainted barn across the field from you.  Below that is a field of uncut
grass with seedheads.  In front of the edge of the field with seedheads is
shorter unfruited grass with two mustard plants covered with yellow
blossoms, still in line with the barn.   The mustard plant on the left, a
little closer to you, is the Henslow Sparrow's singing perch.  This morning
I saw him singing there, then he departed to the left (southeast) where I
heard him sing once, then a minute later he was back in the same plant
again.   With good eyes and good binoculars and good light you might be able
to see the field marks at that distance, but I needed a scope to be sure,
myself.  The first time I saw it Tuesday was pure dumb luck, I had only
stopped to take off my jacket when I heard it.

> Also, on my way there this morning, I went by Thompson Farm near Jackson
Bridge to look for the Bobolinks where they have been seen for some years
now.  I didn't find them there, but I came upon one male Bobolink singing
from a powerline at the intersection of Dunbar Rd. and Corby Bridge Rd.