[Bristol-Birds] Fw: [ALBIRDS] Spring Migration

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:07:28 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:25:37
To: <albirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Spring Migration

Fellow Albirders
Reports from the Fort Morgan peninsula today indicated several sightings of
 Yellow-throated Warbler, Northern Parula, Louisiana Waterthrush,
Prothonotary  Warbler and several adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.  Good
numbers of Hooded Warblers and White-eyed Vireos are just days away.  God  how
love this time of year!!

You are all invited to come visit our PUBLIC banding station at Fort Morgan
 when we open to the public on March 17th.  We open our nets before dawn
daily and usually close the nets each afternoon between 3:00 and 5:00 PM
depending on the flow of inbound migrants.  Families are always welcome if  the
children are well behaved.  Bring your best camera and insect repellent
just in case.  If you wish to spend the day with us, please bring a folding
chair for each in your party.  If you have folks in wheel chairs or that
have problems walking from the main road into the tent area, we can assist with
 that as well.  Come see me at the banding tent if you need  assistance.
Please, please do not block the brick road that  leads to the old gate area
as you approach the banding tent.   The Hummer/Bird Study Group will once
again have portable toilets in place for  your comfort and convenience during
the banding session.

North bound hummingbird reports today have been few and far between  away
from the coast.  The most prominent report today was an adult male at  a
feeder near Verbena.  I usually get the first reports from the south
Birmingham
area about the 15th-17th of March.  At my home north of the  city, our
first hummer is usually sighted between March  17th-23rd.

I do have a "pair" of Mallard Ducks that are constantly being seen on our
not-so-tiny pond now, and walking around in the pasture and woods near the
pond.  I suspect that the female is either nesting or looking for a place
to build her nest.  A Mallard nest would be a first for little place.   I
cannot get to my duck box to see if the very secretive Wood Ducks are nesting
again this year.

I would like to thank our friend Steve McConnell for his earlier  posting
on Albirds regarding our bird banding efforts.

See you soon.  Good luck and good birding.
Bob and Martha Sargent
Clay, Alabama