[Bristol-Birds] Field Trip Summary

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 23:55:44 -0500

Saturday, February 27,2010
Today 16 members of the Bristol and Herndon Bird Clubs braved cool weather and
a bit of wind to bird parts of South Holston Lake and other Sullivan County
waterfowl areas.  At this point, we have more pictures of brightly colored
winter clothing with folks hidden in there somewhere than of birds (see Wallace
Coffey's earlier post on Bristol-birds), but we did manage to see or hear the
following species among the sites of Paddle Creek, Weir Dam and Osceola Island,
South Holston Dam, Musick's Campground, Middlebrook Lake, and areas enroute
inbetween.

0.  Mute Swan
1.  Canada Goose
2.  Black Duck
3.  Mallard
4.  Am. Wigeon
5.  Gadwall
6.  Green-winged Teal
7.  Northern Pintail
8.  Redhead
9.  Bufflehead
10.  Ring-necked Duck
11.  Lesser Scaup
12.  Black Vulture
13.  Turkey Vulture
14.  Red-tailed Hawk
15.  Red-shouldered Hawk (imm. at the Weir Dam)
16.  Cooper's Hawk
17.  Am. Kestrel
18.  Coot
19.  Killdeer
20.  Ring-billed Gull
21.  Rock Pigeon
22.  Mourning Dove
23.  Belted Kingfisher
24.  Red-bellied Woodpecker
25.  Downy Woodpecker
26.  Northern Flicker
27.  Eastern Phoebe
28.  Blue Jay
29.  Crow
30.  Carolina Chickadee
31.  Tufted Titmouse
32.  Carolina Wren
33.  Mockingbird
34.  Eastern Bluebird
35.  Robin
36.  Hermit Thrush
37.  Starling
38.  Ruby-crowned Kinglet
39.  Golden-crowned Kinglet
40.  Yellow-rumped Warbler
41.  Eastern Towhee
42.  White-throated Sparrow
43.  White-crowned Sparrow
44.  Song Sparrow
45.  Cardinal
46.  Goldfinch
47.  House Finch
48.  House Sparrow

Participants:  Jim and Darla Anderson, Wallace and Carolyn Coffey, Niel and
Jean Hanson, Paul and Emily Bayes, Jackie Hinshaw, Jennifer Kennedy, Mary Anna
Wheat, Jean Potter, Michele Sparks, Rick Knight, John Moyle, and Roy Knispel.
Thanks to Rick Knight for leading the field trip.

Roy Knispel, Pres.
Herndon Bird Club
Phone:  423-202-7802