[Bristol-Birds] Cocke Co. Ospreys, Cliff Swallows

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:30:48 EST

Sat., 13 MAR 2004
Rankin Bridge, Douglas Lake, Cocke Co., TN
D. Holt

On my way to Rankin Bottoms Saturday morning I saw an Osprey sitting on the
well-known nest atop the old iron bridge just downstream of the current Rankin
Bridge.  After a few minutes a second Osprey approached carrying a branch, and
landed beside the first Osprey, who began vocalizing.  They sat together a
few minutes, and then the second bird flew off, appearing to be hunting over
the
river.
     For a while, my attention was diverted by at least nine Cliff Swallows
flying around the bridge I was standing on.  I could clearly see their squarish
tails, pale rumps and dark throats, but I didn't hear any calls.
     Then I noticed an Osprey on a tree downstream of the iron bridge on
river left.  At first I thought it was the second Osprey, but soon the second
rejoined the first on the nest, so there were three Osprey within sight.
     Other spp. seen near the bridge and in Rankin Bottoms were:  Great Blue
Heron, Wood Duck, Canada Goose, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal,
American Wigeon, Kildeer, Common Snipe, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler.
     In the afternoon I went to Dutch Bottoms and saw another Osprey land on
the nest on the second silo.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN