[Bristol-Birds] Bristol Night-Heron nesting background (Sullivan Co.)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:12:02 -0400

Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron nest
at Bristol, TN
The nest reported to Jeremy Stout
on 2 April 2007 is fascinating.  It is
the second known nesting of the
species in the Beaver Creek
Watershed of the city but it is also
in a tributary watershed known as
Cedar Creek.  When I was there
today, there were two birds on
what appeared to be a new nest.
A third adult was about 20 feet
away with some type of vegetation
in its beak but no other nest could
be locate.  The yellow circle on the
map at the left is the location of the
nest seen today.  The yellow triangle
is a report of young in a nest with an
adult present along Beaver Creek
4 July 2005.  The distance between
the two sites is about .8 of a mile.
This new nest is in the backyard of a typical urban neighborhood home built in
the early 1950's.  The yard is
close mowed and manicured.  It is on the outermost limb of an oak tree and
maybe 30 feet above the ground.
The nearest creek or wetlands is Cedar Creek about 700 feet southeast of the
nest and about a 100 feet lower
in elevation than the nest site which is at about 1620 feet elevation.  Beaver
Creek is located 2,600 feet away
to the northwest.  Without the homeowner's assistance and call,  I don't
believe a birder would ever have seen
this nest even if you were driving past the site and looking through the trees.
 I walked in the backyards of
the area with a neighbor and I felt like there could easily be another nest or
two somewhere that I just could
not see.  I had binoculars and my scope to search.  Thanks to Jeremy Stout for
passing along this report.

There is still no nesting record for this species in Southwest Virginia, just a
couple of short miles away.

Let's go birding......

Windows bitmap