[Bristol-Birds] Black Tern, etc at Austin Springs, Aug 31, 2013

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 04:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

I spent the afternoon yesterday kayaking around Austin Springs.  The water
levels on the lakes are still too high for good shorebird habitat, perhaps as
evidenced by the Avocets hanging out at Great Lakes pond.  I was hoping Douglas
reservoir would be down enough to expose Rankin Bottoms, but it does not look
like that will happen this weekend from the predicted levels posted on the TVA
website.  (How is it at Musick's?)  Anyway, it was nice to get some close looks
at Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers.  The best bird was Black Tern, which
appeared briefly after I had to wait out a lightning storm huddled under my
kayak on the bank near someone's dock.

On another note, we observed a small flock of 12 Common Nighthawks at the ETSU
womens' soccer game Friday evening, which was a treat.