[Bristol-Birds] Birds of Northeast Tennessee book funding hits stride !

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:58:57 -0400

The Bristol Bird Club's funding campaign to finance Rick Knight's
'second edition' of the Birds of Northeast Tennessee hit full stride
at Kingsport, TN this morning.

The campaign, in its sixth week, met with two successful donations
following presentations made at Bays Mountain Park and Nature
Center.

The Bays Mountain Park
Association presented a
check for $500 to the BBC
group, following a request
made by Zellie Earnest
and a presentation by
Earnest, Bill Grigsby,
Wallace Coffey, Michele Sparks and Carolyn Coffey.

The delegation presented the project to Tom Bowman
and Rob Cole of the Bays Mountain staff.

The board of directors of the Kingsport Bluebird Society has also
voted to contribute.  BBC members were told the society's pledge
is $300 and a check will be mailed.

Early in the project, Charles Moore, Rick Knight and Wallace
Coffey briefly explored the possibilities and process of acquiring
an International Standard Book Number (ISBN).  Since 1968, the
standard identification system for books and other monographic
publications has been used in all book databases to track books,
and almost every item found in a bookshop.

Recently, BBC member Wilma Boy asked about how the
book could be placed in local libraries.  She asked if we have a
Library of Congress number.  That caused us to more seriously
reconsideration marketing, distribution and sales of the publishing
business.

Despite having published four previous books since 1994, BBC
has not fully involved itself with these matters.

The book, an estimated 130-pages, will feature full
color throughout and present the best photo documentation of
some of our rarest birds in addition to images selected
for the a modern graphic design of the book. Plans are to print
1,000 copies.

Michele Sparks joined the BBC publication team about 10 days
ago with the assignment of investigating and making recommendations
for moving the project forward to includes ISBN, Library of Congress
Preassigned Control Number (PCN), copyright registration, barcodes
for dealers and libraries and to estimate costs and delivery schedules
for these features.

It has turned out to be a long and complex maze thru the publishing
industry.  She has spent days and hours working with local publishers,
national publishing companies, local and regional library consultants
and the HH Bowker Co. which is virtually the sole supplier of ISBN
numbers in the US.  She has nearly completed the investigative part
of this project. She will also help arrange for the bibliographic online
catalogue.

More photos continue to arrive for the layout of the publication.
Photos from the Dr. Fred Alsop, III collection were received and
scanned into the book database.  Mike Poe reports that the project
completed scanning the original transparencies and returned them
to Dr. Alsop.

Project cost estimates, printing and design quotes and a meeting
with our printer to discuss these matters have been completed.

It appears our budget and financial expectations are realistic and
have been met.  Now we move to production and cost management.

Mike Poe is doing a fantastic job overseeing the artistic aspects,
page designs, layouts and working with photographers.

Rick Knight, as author,  has the last say on every aspect of the book
which is moving well on schedule as we define more exact goals
and dreams.  He has spent several years getting this second edition
compiled and edited.  His manuscript is complete.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol Bird Club
Birds of Northeast Tennessee