[Bristol-Birds] BBC field trip report - Nov 28

  • From: Andy Jones <AJones@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 00:21:12 +0000

We had a great day afield with the BBC, checking out some local waterfowl spots
and checking in on a western hummingbird. All spots are in eastern Sullivan
County.

Highlights:

Middlebrook Lake:
American White Pelican - 1, present since the 24th
Over 100 Black and Turkey Vultures roosting around the lake
Hooded Merganser - 65
Ring-necked Duck - 4
Wood Duck - 2
Ring-billed Gull - 100
Double-crested Cormorant - 6
no sign of the Cackling Goose, but some geese were behind the island in the
back end of the lake and not visible

Nicely Branch (aka Sutter's) Pond:
Gadwall - 17
Ring-necked Duck - 5

Weir Dam below South Holston Dam:
Bufflehead - 35
American Wigeon - 10

Rooty Branch Beaver Dam:
American Black Duck x Mallard hybrid - 1 male
American Wigeon - 1 frmale

Musick's Campground:
Common Loon - 1
Horned Grebe - 1
Bonaparte's Gull - 16
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird - 1 female/immature visiting feeders. Present for a
few weeks. Not yet banded, so the specific identification is not yet known.
Rufous is more likely, but the region has several Allen's records.
Horned Lark - 7

Riverside Road along South Holston River near Bluff City:
Bald Eagle - pair of adults perching together in a tree over the river. This
pair has been nesting in the area for several years.

Participants:

Andy Jones
Michelle Jones
Wallace Coffey
Chris O'Bryan
Rick Knight
Rick Blanton
Nicholas Lorch
Vicki Frye
Dave Worley
Judy Moose
Dick Moose

If you were afield with us and would like for me to officially share the eBird
checklists with your eBird account, please email me your username or simply
your email address.

Andy
--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
Director of Science

Secretary, American Ornithologists' Union
BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

This is a regional birding list to facilitate communications
between birders of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee.
Wallace Coffey, Owner Moderator
jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx