[Bristol-Birds] Austin Springs Bald Eagle nest found !

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:32:20 -0400

Boone Lake
Johnson City
Washington Co., TN

The nest of the mated pair of Austin Springs Bald Eagles was located today --
24 May.

This is the first known eagle's nest found in the Watauga River drainage of
Northeast Tennessee. The first for Boone Lake and the first for Washington
County, TN.

It was located by myself and Carolyn.

The location of the nest was made following a five-hour search effort to fill
in gaps of information and try to answer questions that continue to linger even
after it was believed a week ago that the pair apparently had no nest.

The final break to find the nest came when the birds broke from their usual
behavior at an inopportune time and flew to a most unlikely tree to perch.  The
two could be seen perched briefly at the unexpected perch but then left.

They soared above Boone Lake.  Then they flew tightly in a pattern not so
unlike that of Dolphins swimming in a undulating fashion.

Then the pair entered a normal and expected flight lane.   It was a passage
lane which had been previously mapped.  Because I had gone into an off-road
position in that lane, in hopes they would travel that route and reveal more of
their destination, they were flying directly at me.  As I had hoped they would
before they made the unexpected deviation in their normal flight, the pair flew
past me within maybe 200 feet and not more than perhaps 150 feet above the
ground.

One of the pair was carrying a three foot long branch or vine of nesting
material in its talons and it was seen to extend well behind the bird as it
passed.  I first thought it was a stout piece of vine.  But, in all the
excitement, a second thought was that it may have been a slim and scrawny
branch of pine.  I could not tell what it was.

I first thought the male was carrying the nesting material.  That might well be
the case.  I had my camera ready but was afraid I would lose my tracking so
left it in my pocket and sacrificed the opportunity to get a photo of the
passage eagle with the nesting material.

The birds then went to the nest site. They flew in a very tight circle just
above the canopy.  The apparent male could still be seen with the dangling
piece of vegetation.  Then each of the birds fluttered their wings and gently
lowered themselves into the canopy.  Due to immediate lack of access to the
nest tree and it being behind the canopy of another tree or two, I could not
directly see the nest itself.  This is not unlike what we experienced at the
South Fork Holston River nest in Sullivan County. It was thrilling.

I plan to go again Friday at 10 a.m. to specifically get my eyes on the nest.
If anyone wants to come along, feel free to do so.  We will need two or three
folks with good scopes.  It would not hurt to have two or three that can do
some walking in the woods and maybe even a couple of GPS units (either in smart
phones or freestanding GPS units). We will first attempt to bisect some angles
to see what we can view.  A pair of family radios would help.  Bring your
cellphone if you can.  If the scopes fail us, we will put a ground party out
with any GPS to actually walk in near the nest.

The thinking is now that this nest must have one or two eaglets nearly ready to
fledge.

The copulation from a couple of weeks ago and the carrying of nest materials
now seem far more consistent to advanced young -- also explaining the long
periods away from the nest by the female who today spent about an hour away
from the nest at a great distance.  This has not been seen at the South Fork
Holston River nest.

I will meet anyone who wants to join in the Friday search about 10 a.m. at the
Tractor Supply parking lot on US 11E towards Piney Flats.

This all seems so certain.  Keep your fingers crossed for great fun.  Maybe you
will actually get to see Washington County's first Bald Eagle nest !

Let's go birding . . . .