[Bristol-Birds] American Bittern, Sora, Grasshopper Sparrow, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:07:33 -0400

April 18, 2007

Greene County

Early this morning and then again this evening, I checked out a few back roads
near Greeneville and found the following:

Solitary Sandpiper
Common Yellowthroat (season first)
Grasshopper Sparrow (season first)

Early in the evening, David Kirschke and I visited Wal-Mart Distribution Center
(WMDC) and nearby areas and observed a significant number of species, the
highlights of which were:

Blue-winged Teal (40+ WMDC)
Northern Bobwhite (singing, WMDC)
Pied-billed Grebe (WMDC)
American Bittern (WMDC, third pond)
Green Heron (2 WMDC)
Virginia Rail (calling, WMDC, third pond)
Sora (2 WMDC, second and third ponds)
Greater Yellowlegs (WMDC)
Solitary Sandpiper (Baughard Hill Road)
Wilson's Snipe (15+ WMDC)
Eurasian Collared-Dove (3--1 adjacent to West Greene High School, 2
approximately 0.5 mile east of West Greene High School)
Tree Swallow (30+ WMDC)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (10+ WMDC)
Barn Swallow (several WMDC)
Common Yellowthroat (WMDC)

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN