[Bristol-Birds] A thousand new yardbirds ! Lincoln's Sparrow, White-throats

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:20:42 -0400

Before I forget,  James Brooks, Janice Martin, Kathleen Britts and her friend
visiting from England,  had a Lincoln's Sparrow at Quarry Bog in Shady Valley
during the Bristol Bird Club's most successful "Cranberry Festival Bog Watch"
Saturday (10/9).
I also had a White-throated Sparrow along Brickyard Branch which runs thru the
bog.  That was my first of that species for the fall.

This morning, Monday (10/11) my neighborhood, in Bristol, Tn.,  has at least a
thousand Red-winged Blackbirds in the trees of near every yard.  I live on a
hillside in a large woodlot of tall White Oaks and mature White Pines.  Every
tree was covered with noisy Red-wings calling and flying about.  I sat in the
rockers on my front porch with binoculars and enjoyed the spectacle.  For such
an urban situation with no real meadows or marsh, this is unusual.  We do have
a nice creek across the street.  It was a new yardbird for my list !

The Bog Watch was neat, fun and great fellowship.  We had a very good turnout.
The hot coffee and abundant snacks were very special.  Chris O'Bryan reports a
good group on his Schoolyard Sring Nature Walk during the festival.  He enjoyed
having the Rack Cross family join him.

I also enjoyed attending the Cranberry Festival where I got to throw a pie and
hit former Bristol Bird Club member and treasuer, Lorrie Shumate, in the face.
That was a sight to see !  It only cost me a $5 donation to the American Cancer
Society.  Lorrie tried to get even.  She donated $20 to hit me in the face with
a pie.  Luckly, I thought quickly and gave the American Cancer Society another
$20 donation so I wouldn't have to let her hit me with a pie.  Everyone went
home happy and the fight against cancer is $45 to the good !  Yes!  I did get
paper towels and help get the pie off Lorrie's shirt and out of her hair.

Let's go birding....