"Wild about Mild" at Copper Creek

  • From: Owen Ogletree <owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brewtopia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:24:20 -0400

Subscription information for this Brewsletter list can be found at the bottom
of this message.

To talk to Owen, please send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BREWTOPIA EVENTS E-MAIL BREWSLETTER
Owen Ogletree (owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
June 12, 2009
http://www.ClassicCityBrew.com
Events Calendar - http://classiccitybrew.com/calendar.html
phone (706) 254-BREW

* WILD ABOUT MILD AT COPPER CREEK
One of my FAVORITE styles of beer is English Mild Ale. Why? This rare, low
gravity (3-4% ABV), refreshing version of a UK brown ale is malty, subtly
complex and fruity, but very drinkable, satisfying and elegant. I've enjoyed
multiple versions of Mild Ale on cask in the UK, but these light, delicate
beers don't travel to the USA (they oxidize in no time). This is why I'm
excited to announce that brewer Matt Buley has just put on his own outstanding
version of a Mild Ale at Copper Creek (the brewpub in downtown Athens, GA). The
current selection is on the regular draft lines, but Matt also plans
cask-conditioned firkins of his Mild at 6 PM on Friday, June 19 and on
Wednesday, July 1. The July cask features East Kent Golding dry-hopping, and a
pair of tickets to the coveted Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting will be given away on
July 1 as a bonus! Below is a link to the UK's Campaign for Real Ale Mild Ale
info pages...
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=275383
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=188642

* ROYAL PEASANT PUB IN ATHENS
Head over to Five Points in Athens to check out the new Royal Peasant UK-style
pub that features some of the best draft beers from Wells/Youngs in England, a
fine selection of UK and other craft bottles, and an English-themed food menu
with some upscale twists thrown in for good measure.  Coming in July - a cask
firkin of Terrapin Golden Ale massively dry-hopped with fresh Cascade whole
leaf hops (talk about a session ale with character!). The cozy pub, located
next to the original Five Points Bottle Shop, also has a welcoming front patio
overlooking Lumpkin Street.

* LOCAL BEER CALENDAR
There is waaay too much great beer stuff going on to list here individually.
Take a second to click on the link below to check out our cool, interactive
calendar of beer events in Georgia and beyond (compiled by our bud, Atlanta
beer icon KP)...
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/calendar.html

* NEW BLIND BEER EVALUATION
Wow - be sure to take a gander at the blind tasting comments from a dozen of
the best craft beers that were served at the recent Classic City Brew Fest.
Owen gathered together fellow beer lovers Jared Bailey, John Gayer, Christian
Hampton and Brad Fowler at Highwire Lounge in Athens, GA to sample and comment
on several mixed styles of ales and lagers from commercial and craft breweries
from around the world. Standouts included Fuller's London Porter, St. Ambroise
Oatmeal Stout, Shiner Black Lager, Spaten Oktoberfest and Highland Kasmir IPA.
Here's the full report and photos...
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/blind_mixed11.html

* 12 DAYS OF KEGS
Brick Store Pub's next monthly beer and cheese tasting comes up on June 1 at 6
PM - five cheeses and five cheeses for only $25. The pub also celebrates 12
years with their 12 Days of Amazing Beer Tappings beginning on June 19 and
ending on June 30. Brick Store's Mike Gallagher sports a huge smile as he
announces, "We'll tap a keg of very special beer from some of our favorite
local, national and international breweries at 3 PM every day. On June 30 it
just gets better... beginning at noon we'll tap a different beer every hour on
the hour for 12 hours straight - leading up to the final tapping at midnight.
It's gonna be epic."

* ALABAMA'S HOPS HAVE BEEN FREED!
Alabama's Governor Riley signed HB373, The Gourmet Beer Bill, into law on May
22, 2009. On May 27 the first high gravity beers began appearing on the shelves
of Birmingham grocery stores, liquor stores, and bars. Other locations
throughout Alabama will see these beers arriving in the coming weeks and
months. For up to date information about where to find gourmet beers in
Alabama, see http://freethehops.org/.

* ROGUE BEER DINNER IN ATL
WHAT: Rogue 3 Course,  4 Beer Dinner / WHERE: Graveyard Tavern, 1245 Glenwood
Ave., Atlanta, GA / WHEN: Wednesday, June 24th 6-8 PM
Reservations: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and 404-622-8686 / $35 per person.

* OWEN'S ALTBIER DUSSELDORF ARTICLE WITH PHOTOS
Check out Owen's Altbier article that made a recent cover of Beer Advocate
magazine. There are photos and a video from Dusseldorf as well...
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/alt.html

* COLORADO COMES TO GEORGIA
Terrapin and Left Hand's "round two" collaborative Midnight Project gets brewed
in Athens, Georgia on July 13-16. Left Hand's Chris Lennert reports, "Last year
we collaborated with our good friends at Terrapin Beer Company on the first of
many one-time releases, calling the coalition the Midnight Project. The first
release was Terra-rye?zd, an imperial roggen schwartz lager that received rave
reviews. This July we're changing it up - instead of having Terrapin come to
Colorado, we're flying to Georgia to brew. This time it's an espresso milk
stout called Depth Charge." A Terrapin & Left Hand beer dinner takes place at
Athens' Trappeze Pub on July 14 with cellared bottles of Terra-Rye'zd alongside
cask ales from both breweries - ten beers in total and delicious food courses
(phone Trappeze at 706-543-8997 for reservations). A Terrapin/Left Hand double
cask night follows at Brick Store in Decatur on July 16.

* FREE WELLS/YOUNGS GLASS AT TRAPPEZE
On June 25 Trappeze Pub gives away imperial pint glasses from Well's & Young's
brewery to the first 75 customers who buy a pint of Wells Bombardier or Young's
Double Chocolate Stout. Wells and Young's brewery, known for its flavorful and
classic British ales, exports some of the best examples of classic UK styles
available.

* NEW FROM SWEETWATER
Sweetwater's recent Double IPA Dank Tank release from new brewmaster Mark
Medlin proved a massive hit in select bars around Atlanta. What's in the future
for the Dank Tank? Sweetwater's Steve Farace spills the beans. "The Dank Tank
series launches our new 22 ounce bottles this summer. We've been saving the
bombers for a something juicy, and the Dank Tank is up to the challenge. Our
next edition will be a huge barleywine hitting shelves in late June, and
bottles will allow folks to enjoy the beer in the comfort and safety of their
own homes or mom's basement." In addition, Road Trip reappears as the next
edition of Sweetwater's Catch & Release seasonals. Head brewer Nick Nock and
Big Kahuna Freddy Bensch brewed this Pilsner with lager yeast but fermented it
at warmer ale temperatures to produce a crisp and hoppy favorite.

* BREW AT THE ZOO
Atlanta Zoo's Brew at the Zoo takes place on June 13 and features the three
Georgia breweries. Atlanta Brewing Company will be pouring under a big tent in
the main pavilion and also at the gorilla exhibit with their infamous Vanilla
Gorilla cask-conditioned ale. Dave McClure, Atlanta Brewing Company's head
brewer, also formulated a special beer for Taco Mac's anniversary this June.
Named Solstice Roggenbock, this lager is brewed with two-row, Vienna, rye and
wheat malts, crystal hops and German yeast. Full bodied and golden in color,
this brew also throws spicy, tart, sharp notes from the rye and wheat, balanced
by a mild, flowery hop aroma and flavor. McClure cold-conditioned the beer for
60 days, and the alcohol came to about 5.5%.

That's about all for now. Take care and remember to always drink responsibly
and support homebrewing and craft-brewed beers whenever possible!

Owen Ogletree is an Athens, GA beer writer, beer traveler, nationally certified
beer judge, and founder/director of www.ClassicCityBrew.com, the Classic City
Brew Fest, and the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting.

To UNsubscribe to this Brewsletter, please send an email (from your email
address that received this Brewsletter) to brewtopia-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT field.

To contact Owen about other matters, send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx