[Brewtopia] Great Beer Events Coming Soon

  • From: Owen Ogletree <brew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brewtopia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:17:46 -0400

If you do NOT wish to receive these Brew Fest and craft beer updates,
instructions on how to be taken off this Brewsletter list are at the bottom of
this message.

To talk to Owen, please send an email to brew@xxxxxxxxxx

BREWTOPIA EVENTS EMAIL BREWSLETTER
Owen Ogletree (brew@xxxxxxxxx)
August 25, 2003
http://www.ClassicCityBrew.com
phone (706) 254-BREW

BEER CALENDAR
- Be sure to watch the TurnerSouth "Blue Ribbon" special on beer that features
Terrapin, Sweetwater, Bosco's, and Weeping Radish.  You can catch this
entertaining program on 8/27 at 10:30pm and 8/30 at 6:00pm.

- Asheville, NC Homebrew Competition, Saturday, September 20 at Sky
Distributing.  Contact Organizer Jay Adams at goosepoint@xxxxxxxxxxxx for
details.

- Great American Beer Festival, Denver, CO, September 25-27.
http://www.beertown.org

- 7th Annual Bramwell, WV Oktoberfest on Saturday, October 4, 2pm to 8pm.  Owen
will once again be there to judge and hopes to see you there.  More information
is available at: http://www.geocities.com/bramwelloktoberfest/

- World Beer Festival, October 4, 12-4pm and 6-10pm.  Downtown Durham, NC at
the historic Durham Athletic Park.  800-977-BEER.

- Decatur, GA Beer Festival, Saturday, October 18, Courthouse Square, downtown
Decatur.  Call the Brick Store Pub for details.

- Fall Wine Fest - A benefit for the Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation - Taste
over 80 wines, sample food from the Athens' finest restaurants, and listen to
jazz on the tree-lined grounds of historic Ashford Manor.  Attendees will
receive a program book and wine glass and have the opportunity to bid on silent
art auction items.   3:00-6:00pm, Sunday, October 19.  Admission with a
donation of $25 in advance or $30 at the door.  Ashford Manor Bed and
Breakfast, 5 Harden Hill Road, Watkinsville, GA, 706-769-4565.

- November 1st  Georgia Craft Brew Challenge - Georgia's craft brewers are
going head-to-head to see whose beer reigns supreme in  Georgia. Come see who
wins and try them all at a Halloween-themed festival. "Champion  Beer of
Georgia" awards will be given in several categories and a  "Grand Champion Beer
of Georgia" award will be given to the best-in-show  beer.  Saturday, November
1, Max Lagers, downtown Atlanta. This celebration of Georgia's craft beers
should not be missed!  Check http://www.beerinfo.com/worldclassbeer for
upcoming information.

MEADS AND STRONG CIDERS
http://www.negia.net/~brew/blind_icecider.html
Our website above has details on our latest blind evaluation of Meads (honey
wines) and Ice Ciders.  Ice Ciders are special products from frigid Canada that
use apples that have frozen over winter on the tree, or apple juice that has
been pressed in winter and allowed to stay outside in the cold to concentrate
and then ferment slowly.  You have to taste these incredible beverages to
believe them!  Click on the link for all the details.

OWEN TO JUDGE AT GABF
I'm heading out to Denver at the end of September to help with the judging at
the 2003 Great American Beer Festival.  When I return, I'll be sure to include
photos and information on the winners and behind-the-scenes happenings at the
festival in the next Brewsletter.  I can't wait!

BEER TIP OF THE MONTH
If you are homebrewing and using only chlorine bleach to clean and sanitize
your equipment, think again.  More and more research shows that using bleach
alone does a very poor job at cleaning the protein coatings and buildup in
carboys and hoses.  Use a powerful, activated oxygen cleanser from your
homebrew store.  This will thoroughly clean your equipment, then you can
sanitize with bleach.

______________________

That's about all for now. Take care and remember to always drink responsibly
and support homebrewing and craft-brewed beers whenever possible! (Owen
Ogletree is an Athens, Georgia certified beer judge, beer author and traveler,
homebrewer, and director of Brewtopia Events and the Classic City Brew Fest.
Feel free to email Owen at brew@xxxxxxxxx with any questions or comments.)
THANKS!

To UNsubscribe to this Brewsletter, please send an email (from your email
address that received this Brewsletter) to brewtopia-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT field.

To contact Owen about other matters, send an email to brew@xxxxxxxxxx