[BNU] got my xp pc working as router for apex

  • From: jessica brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bn list <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 23:07:19 -0800

Hi. A few days ago I asked how you use a pc as a wifi router for a braillenote. I just figured it out and wanted to let you know how to do it. This may be useful for people who do not have a wifi router but you want to be able to use your Apex wirelessly or if you do have a wifi router, but you do not know the password. This is using a windows xp pc, but you can also do it with other versions of windows as well as on the mac. Ok so I found this article on applevis when I was looking for something else and I just stumbled across this article. I would never have thought of looking on applevis for this, because it is mostly to do with the pc, and applevis is for apple stuff, not pcs, but I guess it does have to do with apple stuff because the person who wrote this article said that they used there windows xp netbook to hook there iPod up to the internet in a place where there was no wifi. It also works on my Apex. So if you want to try it, go read the article at www.applevis.com/guides/using-windows-xp-wi-fi-create-temporary-h otspot-your-idevice. Some things to note are that even though I followed the instructions in that article exactly, my network did not show up on my Apex when I was done. So I did some troubleshooting on my own and figured it all out. I turned the pc off and back on and logged in with my username and password. The network still did not show up on my Apex. So then I tried disconnecting the pc from my home router. Still, the network I made on the pc still failed to show up on the Apex. So then I went into the control panel and to network connections and found my wifi card and clicked on that and went through the list of networks till I got to the one I created. I put in the password for it and then connected the pc to it. Then it worked. That part is not explained in the article, so I thought I would mention it. Also the article did not say if I should use shared or open, and I did not know what either of those were, so after some googeling, I decided to just use shared, because it sounded more secure. I also did not know the difference between tkip and AES, so I left it at the default of AES. I also used wep and unchecked the the key is provided for me automatically box and then entered in my own 5 character wep key. However, I am guessing you could leave that box checked and it would still work. You would just have to figure out what key you were given and then remember it or wright it down. Now once you get your Network set up on your pc, here's how to connect to it on the braillenote. Turn on wireless internet and scan for networks. Look for and click on the one you created, which in my case is called x. Then even though you set it up as wep, it will ask you for a wpa2 preshared key. So enter your wep key anyhow. At this point, there are also other settings you need to configure, but for some reason they will not show up the first time you set up the connection so exit and say yes to add this record. After that you will need to go into review existing connections and look for x or whatever you called your network and press enter on it. Now, you will be given more settings then when you first set it up. You can give it any name you want. Then leave the ssid as is, because it is already filled in at this point. Then set the device to use to whireless network connection, set use infrastructure mode to no, set the authentication protocol to shared, change the encryption to wep, change the 802.1 authentication level to 1, attain an ip address automatically yes and use a proxy server for this connection no. Then exit and say yes to confirm changes. After that, you should be able to connect to and access the internet on your braillenote. If not, try turning your wireless internet on your braillenote off, do a reset, then turn the wireless internet back on and try to reconnect and it should work. Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

IMPORTANT: By default, replies will be sent to individuals. If you feel that your reply
would be useful for others, please use "reply to all" feature in your email
client.

If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, send an email with the subject line of
"unsubscribe" to braillenote-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

From this page, you can unsubscribe, change email delivery settings and view