[BNU] asking a faver: please help me set up keeping cookies on my Apex

  • From: jessica brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bn list <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:20:31 -0800

Hi. I have read these instructions, but they do not make sense and I want to make sure I do not mess up. I do not have the programs needed for this installed on my pc yet. I am wondering if someone who knows more about computers then I do can jaws tandem me and help me set up the programs on the pc and then set up this on my Apex. If anything happens to my computer or Apex, I will not blame you or hold you responsible. I have the usb cord to connect the Apex to the pc and I have a windows xp laptop. So if anyone has jaws, a computer, some spare time and you think you can help, please let me know. Here is what we need to do. From: Joshua Klander <joshklan...@xxxxxxxxx To: braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Date sent: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:33:28 -0600 Subject: [Braillenote] Technical: Another useful hack for the BrailleNoteApex

Hi List. I have found yet another, more useful registry hack for the BrailleNote Apex. Before I discuss this hack, and what it does, I think it would be a good idea for me to explain a few things. First of all, this hack involves editing the Windows CE Registry. For those who don't know, the registry is a large database of all system settings. Many settings that can be changed through the KeySoft menus are stored here, along with more advanced settings that BrailleNote users normally can't access. All windows operating systems use it nowadays, including Windows CE (which the BrailleNote runs on). By accessing the registry and making a few modifications, you can force a computer to do things that it normally cannot. WARNING: You should not mess with the registry unless you have some technical experience. Doing the wrong thing in the registry could cause your device to malfunction. From my experiences, a 4-5-6 reset will restore the registry back to the way it was, but you will still want to be careful. Use the following information at your own risk. Have you ever wished that your apex would not forget log-in information for websites each time you had to reset the unit? If you find this annoying, like I do, then read on. This hack will involve changing where the BrailleNote stores cookies and temporary internet files. By default, they are stored on the ramdisk, and cleared when a reset is performed. If we store these files on the flashdisk instead, they will not be cleared when you reset your unit. Therefore, you will not have to log back into websites after resetting. To perform this hack, follow these steps: 1. On your BrailleNote, creat a folder called Internet, on the flash disk. 2. You will need to have either ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center installed on your PC. 3. Download the Mobile Registry Editor application, and extract the zip file to a folder on your hard drive. 4. Run the mobile registry editor exe file. This program does not require an installation, so it will launch right away. 5. Once the program opens, press tab to access the registry hives. 6. Press down arrow until you hear "hkey current user" 7. Press right arrow to open this hive. 8. Press down arrow until you hear "software," and press right arrow to open it. 9. Press down arrow until you hear "microsoft," and press right arrow to open it. 10. Press down arrow until you hear "windows," and press right arrow to open it. 11. Press down arrow until you hear "current version," and press right arrow to open it. 12. Press down arrow until you hear explorer, and press right arrow to open. 13. Select the item called "shell folders," and press tab. 14. Press down arrow. You should get to a key called "cache" Press the applications key to open the context menu, Open the new submenu, and select "string value" 15. Now, you will be in a dialog box that asks for a value name and a key name. For the value name, type: Cache For the key name, type\flash disk\Internet\temporary internet files Tab to the ok button, and press space. 16. Next, press down arrow until you hear "cookies." Again, create a new string value, as discussed in the previous step. For the value name, type: Cookies For the key name, type:\flash disk\Internet\cookies 17. Exit mobile registry editor, and reset your apex. Now, you're done! Hope you find this useful. JoshFrom: Joshua Klander <joshklan...@xxxxxxxxx To: braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Date sent: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:33:28 -0600 Subject: [Braillenote] Technical: Another useful hack for the BrailleNoteApex

[...]

IMPORTANT: By default, replies will be sent to individuals. If you feel that your reply
would be useful for others, please use "reply to all" feature in your email
client.

If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, send an email with the subject line of
"unsubscribe" to braillenote-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

From this page, you can unsubscribe, change email delivery settings and view