[BNU] Re: UEB and nemeth

  • From: "Terri Pannett" <pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>, "Shawn Abraham" <shawnabraham21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 10:13:42 -0800

Does the calculator on the Apex support UEB?

The United States is the only country which hasn't adopted UEB for math, but since Nemeth is not suposed to be used in grade 2 braille, I see no reason why UEB couldn't be used instead.

When the U.S. adopted UEB, I started to learn it. I don't use higher math, and I've forgotten whatever Nemeth signs I used to know when I took Algebra and Geometry back in the late 60's.

I didn't use UEB when I had my Apex, so I'm curious about something. The calculator uses the star symbol for multiplication and the slash sign for division. When you write a problem like 2*2=4 and you paste the whole calculation into a grade 2 file and you are using UEB as your braille code, does the multiplication sign appear as a UEB star or does it appear like the UEB multiplication sign, which is dots 5-236 a two-cell sign? Will the division sign appear as dots 34 or will it appear as dots 456-34 when you paste a calculation like 2/2=1 in a grade 2 document?
Terri, Amateur Radio Call Sign KF6CA.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Hall" <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>