[BNU] Mpower vs apex

  • From: Marianne Hewitt Robbins <MarianneRobbins2011@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 22:52:10 -0800

Dear Ms. Russell,

I am a blind user as well as an adaptive technology instructor. As a blind
adult, I have used and instructed students in the use of the classic, Mpower
and Apex BrailleNote devices. I understand and sympathize with the very real
economic constraints you refer to. Adaptive Technology is costly.

That said, I do want to mention that the next free upgrade (Keysoft 9.4) will
include a very significant feature.  BrailleNoteApex will be the first
electronic note taking device capable of doing math entry and translation.
There will also be a free software program teachers can use to display the
student's work on computer screen in order to "follow" the student as s/he
works. This is an incredibly important move forward for blind students who will
take Algebra and beyond.  (& for educators who work with students who are blind
or have low vision) This update is due before the end of 2013.

At different times, Humanware has allowed for trade-ins of the MPower which
significantly minimizes the cost of acquiring an apex. A call from a concerned
instructor or someone from your school district might uncover such an
opportuunity for your student.

Best of luck

Marianne Hewitt Robbins
MarianneRobbins2011@xxxxxxxxxxx