[BNU] Mod Note: single-line and off-topic messages

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bn list <braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:22:26 -0500

Hello list,
Recently, we have had many single-line and off-topic messages on this list, and
it is only cluttering up everyone’s inboxes. Please try to keep messages,
replies in particular, helpful and on-topic. A response such as “Me too” or
“thanks” is not something the whole list needs, and it is why we set up this
list the way we did. If your message will not be helpful to everyone, just
answer yes to the “reply to sender only” prompt in keymail, or use your email
program’s reply to sender function. Your message will then go only to the
person who sent the message to which you are replying, and not to the whole
list. Some one-line responses are fine, such as answering “yes” to someone’s
confirmation that they have something right, but most of the time, saying “I
don’t know” or “I agree” or “thanks” is not acceptable. Again, you can send
messages off-list with the same amount of effort as sending them on-list, so
please check before sending to see if your reply will actually help others or
if it should be sent privately.

Additionally, off-topic posts are not allowed. Recently, a thread went from
discussing Keysoft 9.4 to discussing how countries pay workers over the
holidays; that thread should have been taken off-list or simply ended. If your
reply is still related to this list, but is different from what the subject
says, please change the subject. Most people use the subject to determine if an
email is worth opening, so if the content of a message has nothing to do with
the subject, then potentially useful information can easily be missed.

As always, feel free to email braillenote-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if you have
any questions about anything related to list policies. Thank you for your time
and cooperation.

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx